Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wonton Wednesday - First Edition

The other day I was taking a much needed break from life by perusing Pinterest when I came across one of the cutest things I have ever seen - mini taco salads made with wonton wrappers. I immediately knew that I wanted, no NEEDED, to make these and so sent poor Seth out on a wonton wrapper run (try saying that one 10 times fast). Loving to make tacos as often as I do, we already had all of the other ingredients we needed to make up these lovely little things and voila - 16 miniature taco salads ready to be eaten in 2-4 bites! And let me tell you, these were just as cute and delicious as I imagined they would be. Check them out for yourself:


These were super easy to make. All you need are a package of wonton wrappers, a can of refried beans, and any other taco toppings you would like. I used shredded lettuce, a mix of cheddar and mozzarella Daiya cheese, chopped up tomatoes mixed with canned corn, salsa, and sour cream that I mixed with taco seasoning.


Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly spray your muffin tins with nonstick spray and push the wonton wrappers into the cups. Finish by lightly spraying the tops again.


Bake in the oven for about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool.


Assemble the tacos by placing shredded lettuce in the bottom of the cup. Top with refried beans, the tomato/corn mixture, the sour cream mixture, salsa, and finish with shredded cheese. Little bites of heaven.

Here's a closeup of one in all its glory:


While I was super excited and happy with how these turned out, using only 16 wrappers for these babies means I now have A LOT left. Searching on Pinterest again I realized just how versatile wonton wrappers are...and thus began Wonton Wednesday!

Each Wednesday I'll post one or two new things I've done with my wonton wrappers...that is until I run out of ideas or the wonton wrappers are gone, whichever comes first!

So here's another one for you - mini wonton breakfast bites!


I woke up on Saturday morning with a serious craving for an egg mcmuffin. Obviously since I no longer eat cheese or eggs or bacon for that matter, I had to improvise. I decided to use the omelette recipe on The PPK and made up a delicious little morning treat that Seth and I gobbled up. But since the recipe makes enough for about 4 omelettes we had leftovers - enter my idea for mini breakfast bites!

I only had enough omelette mix for about 6 so I preheated the oven to 350, lightly sprayed my muffin tins, and sprinkled on a thin layer of vegan cheese.


Bake these in the oven for about 5 minutes, or just until the cheese has melted and the wontons have a slightly brown hue (you're going to bake these again, so don't worry about them being done yet).

While these were baking I fried up a couple of slices of Lightlife's Smart Bacon.


When cooled, crumble the slices up and add them to your omelette mixture.


Fill the wontons up about halfway with the egg/bacon mixture. You don't want to fill them too high or the egg won't set before the wontons burn (I found this out the hard way).


Bake for another 12 - 15 minutes. Make sure you watch these so the wontons don't burn. You want the egg to set enough so that a toothpick will come out clean.

Drizzle with ketchup and enjoy!


Stay tuned next week for another episode of Wonton Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment